Friday, October 23, 2009

MY spider web story...

Mike mentioned to me this morning that I hadn't updated my blog... I just did YESTERDAY.... so to amuse him and the fam I decided to put a little personal history here. So listen up boys and girls... here's the story of MY spider web...
Back when I was a kid.... YEARS ago... there weren't a million holiday decoration choices in the stores like there is now. We had the jointed paper skeleton and some other printed paper decorations and we bought pumpkins and when we lived in Illinois we got some corn stalks and tied them to the posts on the house. BUT.... my mom got creative and WITHOUT going to the store... got one of my dad's old Tshirts and ripped it in strips and tied it between the posts and made it into a real black widow lookin spider web. Then she took some black material and made it into a big stuffed spider and stuck it in the middle of the web. I wish I had a pic but we didn't just take millions of pics back then. SOOOOO .... when I had my own fam I wanted a spider web, but I was lazy and didn't want to take ALL THAT TIME and tie little strips of material together and tie it into a web....
... so I developed my own way and made stretchy spider webs. I started out with white, but when I had a white house I switched to black. Here is a scrapbook page several years ago when I was decorating... I guess one of the kids took these pics (I remember dressing like a woman referee for my costume that year, cuz that was the year women were allowed to be NBA referees)... SOOOOO my kids grew up with spider webs each year (some years there were lots!)... the fun thing was they never looked the same... each year was unique...and I hung rubbery spiders all over it and each year I added another rubber spider...
so when I married Mike and moved here I started all over with the spider web thing...

It's definitely not as big as I used to make them, but I have started adding a rubber spider each year.... So that it is the story of MY spider web. Happy Halloween memories!

1 comment:

lisa said...

I totally remember how your house was always decked out for the holidays...especially halloween! You have always been one of the most creative people I know!

About Me

My photo
Hi there everyone! I've noticed that a lot of people have a little life story on their blogs. So, always wanting to keep up with the latest BLOG trends, I've decided to put on a little blurb about my life for anyone that's interested. BUT, so no one is bored or has heard it all, I've put MY LIFE in ORIGINAL story form... Once upon a time there was a brown eyed girl, born of goodly parents, who set out on a journey. She traveled for a very VERY long time, through desert, mountains and forests and along the way she brought with her 6 wonderful treasures. But, alas, there were dark times, battles and dragons along the way, but she kept on going, with her treasures giving her strength and direction. Then in the desert, she met a blue eyed handsome prince, who had also been on a long long journey, and he had 2 treasures. So as you might have already guessed the ending.... the brown eyed girl and the blue eyed prince along with their treasures and a bunch more treasures, lived very happily ever after! Life is GOOD! It's party time now!